Monday, August 5, 2013

Yasso Greek Yogurt Bars - a Low Carb Treat

Every once in a while I will post some of my favorite go -to products on this blog.  One of my absolute favorite treats are the Yasso Greek Yogurt Bars.  The Coconut ones are amazing!  They also have Strawberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Mango, and Vanilla Bean.
They come 4 to a box, and at my local Walmart, they run about $4.00.  They are smooth and creamy and not too sweet.  The Coconut ones have a distinct Greek Yogurt flavor.  Some of the fruit flavors have a less distinct yogurt flavor and taste more sherbety in my opinion.  All the flavors I have tried (Coconut, Strawberry and Blueberry) are beyond yummy!

One of the things I love about these treats on a stick, is that they are made in the USA.  They source their products from all over the US and use several different US dairies for their yogurt.  The product was launched in 2011 with the Strawberry, Blueberry and Raspberry bars.  Earlier this year they added the Coconut, Mango, and Vanilla Bean flavors to their product line.

These little bars have great nutritional content as well.  For this blog I am looking at the Coconut bars - my personal favorite of the ones I have tried so far.
With Only 80 calories, Half a gram of fat, 14 grams of carbohydrate and 6 grams of protein each, these are an ideal treat.   The protein helps make these such a satisfying treat.   I also love that I can recognize and pronounce every item on the ingredients list.   There are a few ingredients everyone may not be familiar with so I will give a brief description.

Maltodextrin  -  An Easily digestible carbohydrate made from rice, corn, or potato starch usually.  If you are gluten sensitive, be aware that it can also be derived from barley or wheat.  It is made by cooking down the starch and then adding an acid or an enzyme to break down the starch even further.  It is frequently used as a thickening agent.

Carrageenan -  Another thickening agent made from red seaweed.

Guar Gum  - Yet another Thickener - made from a seed from a plant typically grown and harvested in India or Australia.

Locust Bean Gum  - No it is not made from locusts - this thickener is made from Carob seeds.

I just love these frozen treats.  I love that I can have a guilt free dessert or even a snack if I want. They taste wonderful and fit well into my carb-counting lifestyle.  Have you tried them?  What flavors have you had?  What do you think?


**All opinions on this blog are my own.  I only feature products I really like and am not under any agreement with any company to feature their product.


2 comments:

  1. I have just recently tried the Raspberry ones - and they are fantastic as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post...great pics very informative. TY Noelle!

    ReplyDelete